Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Belfast, Real Fast

I didn't get to spend a lot of time in Belfast, Northern Ireland either.  I was just happy to have caught the ship at Liverpool and be able to sail here. However, in the little time I had I participated in a large protest in front of city hall, visited St. George's Market and played with a little band for a couple of songs on my dulcimer and walked across downtown to the Lanyon Place Train Station for my trip to Dublin. 


I took the shuttle from the ship to the town center and found several large groups of people protesting in front of city hall.  It was such a beautiful for protesting so I joined in with them.  I don't know what we were protesting, something about the flag.  But, I do know whatever we wanted, we wanted NOW. There were team leaders, who were introduced by an enthusiastic man and woman with a bullhorn and high-glow yellow vests.

After, they left on their trek on bicycles I listened to a Christan preacher loudly yelling over another bullhorn who was going to hell. At least he politely waited until the flag protesters finished and rode off. Having enough of protesting and sermons, I wondered around the city center.


It was suggested by several locals that I visit St. George's Market and I'm glad I did.  It was a wonderful big enclosed market with vendors or food, meats, vegetables, art, clothing and souvenirs.  They also had live music that played a mix of Irish and lite classic rock.  I had a great pulled pork sandwich as good as any in Arkansas. I caught the musicians at a break and they let me sit in on a couple of songs with my dulcimer.  I'm hoping to find somebody from the cruise ship who has a video or photo.

I had a train to Dublin in an hour and a half so I walked across the center city area to the Lanyon Place station. It wasn't too far but, it was uphill.  I took my time. It was a quick but, pleasant visit on a beautiful day.




The park area around city hall.

Titanic Memorial

Belfast city hall.


Belfast is sister city to Nashville, TN ergo the TN state flags.



Really big pizza pans.

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment