Friday, July 5, 2019

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor...

Well, after six months at sea, I'm tired. After the cost of this cruise I'm definitely poor but, it's been well worth the cost.  As I arrive back in the country the day after Independence Day passing the Statue of Liberty at 7:00 in the morning, I can not but feel free and happy.  The world is big and diverse but, I am so glad to be home. The wealth and inclusiveness of our country, the freedom of speech and religion are just not that common elsewhere.  Many peoples don't even know what they don't have.



I love history.  I even did post graduate work in history I love it so much. I follow news, especially international news. I was a Naval Intelligence Officer so I've had extensive training and study in international issues and politics. But, until I traveled the globe and actually saw and experience things for myself, talked to people from other countries and listened to their experiences and opinions, did I get a better, more objective and rounded view of the world.

Part of that is the realization and just a little feeling of relief of being back in my country.  It is easy to be comfortable with where you live and the freedom you have.  It is easy to be judgmental from afar and critical of those who live in the situation in which they were born and live.  Not everywhere is like it is here in the U. S.

My friend Chip Greiner came and picked me up at Pier 88, right next to the USS Intrepid, and we went into the city.  I UPS a large item I bought in Taiwan for my son.  It was too big to put in a suitcase.  We went to Penn Station so I visit with the Amtrak Police.  It's been 15 years since I've been to NYC (expect 6 months ago when I started the cruise) and it still seems the same.  I went right through Madison Square Garden to the lower levels of Penn Station and everything is the same.

I also brought Chip on board the ship to tour it and have lunch on the Tarrance overlooking the Hudson River right where Capt. Sullenberger landed U.S. Airways Flight 1549 without power.  It was great to spend time with my long time but, rarely visited friend. It's a good feeling to be home even in NYC.

Although I have now circumnavigated the entire earth, I still have a week left on this trip.  We are headed for Bermuda for a couple of days of beach time before ending the trip in Miami on July 11th, then a full 6 months on the cruise. We are also having a wedding on the ship before we get to Miami, and I am honored to be the best man. Almost there.  Almost back to Fairfield Bay.

Staten Island Ferry

Verrazano Narrows Bridge entering New York Harbor










No comments:

Post a Comment