Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Bermuda

The islands here at the end of the Around the World cruise are a nice easing into normal life after six months of absolute hyper-activity.  It was sunny and laid back.  Mark Twain loved the place and I can understand why.

I had some really good barbeque and a long easy conversation with locals in the long wait for both service and to get my food and then my change back. I had a $100 bill and they brought me back 70-something in Bermuda Dollars. Money that is absolutely worthless anywhere else in the world. I asked for and got, after a long delay, change in U.S. dollars.

The barbeque was good but, not $100 good. All this had little to do with cheating the tourist (although there was that) and more the extreme laid back attitude.  It did allow a lot of time sitting around in the shade and having a real and fun conversation. They did tell me were to get a beer (with 8.6 alcohol content) It is the same attitude that Mark Twain wrote about Bermuda a century ago.

It gave us time to visit with each other before we part ways. It gave us time to pack and, that ain't easy.  I have one of my suitcases that is nothing but stuff I bought over the last six months.  I am abandoning clothes, worn out shoes, toiletries are trashed and paperwork thrown out.

I am looking forword to going home but, this is a good place to chill out and slow my pace. Another day at sea, then kicked out of the room and at 8:00 in the morning and kicked off the ship at nine. Then a long-lined visit to U.S. Customs and Immigration, paying duties and then off to the airport.





Hiding ship.


6 ft. deep clear water.

1 comment: