Friday, June 14, 2019

La Coruna, Spain

This is a nice port to visit but, with a lot of busy days and ports coming up, I took it easy today. I strolled around town, bought some local chocolates, helped a lady who had fallen down and met a few local police officers. All of this in a short walking distance from the ship.

There was a little tiny shop just full of all kinds of chocolates and candies. This included Kojak bubble gum.  I picked out about 10 different chocolates, put them in a bag and paid them by weight. One was a thin slice of lemon half covered in dark chocolate.

I was sitting on a bench over-looking the waterside plaza munching on chocolates like Forrest Gump. You never know what you're going to get. Two ladies walked by me one direction, all excited about something.  I few minutes later they came back by me, laughing with brand new ice cream cones. One lady absent-minded fell to the ground after stepping down a single almost invisible step onto the plaza. Several people rushed to her aid.

She got up, obviously hurt a little but, more upset at losing her ice cream cone. They hurried back for a replacement. When they reappeared, I approached them and offered my arm for the injured lady to step down the single step. She laughed and let me help her and they both laughed.

I started back to the ship and ran into a couple of local police officers ad started up a conversation. Once, again the similarities were more abundant than differences.  Their main concern was watching for possible terrorist activity at the port around cruise ships.  They knew all about the bombing of the ships in Fujairah while our ship was there.  They were also aware of the bombing of the two tankers in the Persian Gulf and were on higher alert.

It was a slow but delightful little visit.

I apparently can't take a very good selfie photo.



Waterfront plaza.

View from my bench. There is a single step from the brownish pavement to the grey.








Needs suntan lotion.


Bye bye!

Nice reflection of ship.


Flowers in my cabin window.

Pilot boat leaving.

Leaving port.



1 comment: