Thursday, June 27, 2019

Cork, Last Day in Europe

Just like the Titanic, this is last place we see land on this side of the Atlantic. I guess that put a cork in it. We were actually docked at the Port of Cork, a sweet little village of Cobn,  It is pronounced Cove. It was explained to me that "bn" is pronounced like the letter "v."

This pleasant little town hugging the southern coast of Ireland was our last taste of Europe before we headed out to sea for four days across the North Atlantic. Much like the Titanic. And, like that famous ship, in heavy fog.

The Titanic last left port here in Cobn, right about were the Insignia was berthed. It left Southampton on April 10, 1912, stopped in Cherbough, France and last saw land in Queenstown, Ireland, now named Cabn, before going to meet its fate in the middle of the Atlantic. In fact, right close to where we are now as I'm writing this on the ship. And, as if I could forget the fog I see all around us, the ship blows it's massive horn every so often to remind me.

One very distinguishing feature of Cobn was the flowers. They were planted in abundance everywhere. It really enhanced the charm and atmosphere and gave it a rich colorful character.  I just enjoyed being there.

There is a Titanic museum, a statue of immigrants leaving faithfully for the New World and of course the Rob Roy pub. I meet some friends there at the pub and so I was obliged to have a beer. That's another reason I like Ireland. Although I have started to develop a taste for wine, the Irish are all about the beer and whiskey.




Rob Roy 


I really like this picture.



Postal drop.




Titanic Museum 






Looks like my wife Becky to me. I didn't know she'd been to Ireland.

They like beer in Ireland.



That's the Insignia docked in the background, center of the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment