Thursday, May 16, 2019

Dubai Police

Everything with Dubai Police is state of the art and brand new. If only we all had unlimited budgets.  This includes personnel as well.  There are over 17,500 officers for a city of just over 3 million. This puts it at the same ratio to population of New York City. They are training and recruiting many more right now getting ready for Expo 2020 next year in Dubai.

I met several officers and got to talk to them, especially this officer. I don't think I would get his name right but, he is a lecturer at the Dubai Police Academy. He teaches interview and interrogation. His English is better than mine and we discussed body language, eye movement and micro-expressions.

He said he knew I was a police officer as soon as I walked in.  He said the way I carried myself and acted like I owned the place told him I was police or military. Seeing how my taxi driver would not leave the parking lot while I was inside, I understand his reasoning.



I was in Dubai at the wrong time. It's Ramadan which means the whole country goes into a different mode.  They can not eat or drink anything during daylight hours.  The police, although there are some out working, for the most part are sleeping and getting up and working in the evening. It felt almost like the town was abanonded. That is why my taxi stayed with me.  He said it would be impossible to get a cab if he dropped me off.  Only the taxi are for tourists were out at the port for cruise ships and at the airport and hotels.



I was told there is very little crime but, even with dragonian reprecussions, it still happens. He told me about an 8 year old boy who was molested and killed.  The man responsible was tried and convicted.  He got a life sentence, never to get out. The father, by law, was asked what he wanted to happen.  The father had three choices: to do nothing, to forgive or to exact harsher sentence.

The father wanted the man hung in public. He could have been shot or stoned as well. They hung him in public to the point it was also broadcast live on all television channels. The father can also ask for monitary damages, in this case 40,000 Dirhams.  They have a scale of civil payments on a life. The family of the murderer has to cough up the money.


Previous uniform.

Police Academy

Main Headquarters

All their police vehicles are green and white.

I didn't get to see many of their vehicles because everyone was gone for Ramadan But here are some pictures of their vehicles from the internet.  The last picture is for Landon.




No comments:

Post a Comment